My favorite cheat meal or as I call “treat” meal is PIZZA! Who doesn’t love the hot dough covered in cheese and toppings? Unfortunately, pizza is not considered a “clean diet” meal so my boyfriend and I refrain from eating it as much as I would like. This got me thinking, so a couple months ago I began researching recipes for a “healthy” alternative that would still give me the same satisfaction as the good stuff. After reading several cooking sites and suggestions I found my special ingredient…Cauliflower! I use cauliflower for the crust of the pizza instead of heavy and carb filled dough. Check out the recipe below and try it for yourself.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella (no or reduced fat optional)
- 1 tsp. garlic (minced or powder)
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 egg
- nonstick cooking spray
- Veggies/cooked chicken/toppings (your choice)
- Cut cauliflower head into florets, add to food processor and shred well. Place in large bowl and add about 1/8 cup water, cover with plastic wrap, microwave 8 mins.
- While microwaving, pre-heat oven to 400F, prepare 1- 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, set aside.
- In small bowl add one cracked egg, seasonings, and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Cut up all pizza toppings (veggies/chicken)
ex: zucchini, mushrooms, olives, bell peppers, pineapple, baby spinach leaves, artichoke hearts, basil leaves, tomato, turkey pepperoni, turkey bacon, seasoned chicken.
- When cauliflower is ready, make sure to drain any excess water, add egg/seasoning mixture to cauliflower bowl and mix well.
- Place aluminum foil over entire cookie sheet, spray generously, pour cauliflower mixture onto it and shape in into a rectangle with spatula, go around edges to get a good shape.
- Bake for 15-20mins until it starts to get golden brown in spots and look a little crispy.
- Pull out of oven, turn it to broil-hi, add pizza sauce, remaining cheese, and toppings. Place in oven for 5-7 more mins (keep an eye on it) when it is cooked to your preference, remove from oven.
- I recommend eating it with a fork and knife, especially if it’s still pretty hot. Enjoy!